Ask a Dentist   »  

Inflamed gums, tender to touch and bleeding. Is it a abscess?

i was playing with my gums cause they felt inflamed and when it did they slightly moved, so i brushed my teeth and the gums. i kept this up for about 4-5 horus during the day and also brushed it again three more times and used salt rinses. When I woke up the area was bloody and tender to the touch. Abscess?
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Doesnt look like an abscess

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting a picture, it has made my job easier.

It looks like your jaws are inflamed but it doesnt look like you have developed an abscess yet.

Here is what I suggest you should do

1. Do not brush over the area with a hard brush, repeated brushing has made it worse and that might be the cause for the slight bleed.
2. Rinse your mouth with betadine gargle twice daily
3. An anti inflammatory drug like levocetrizine at night should reduce the inflammation. For the pain you can use acelofenac, do not take aceclofenac more than twice daily for not more than 3 days
4. If the pain and inflamation persists please see a dentist, a course of antibiotic might also be required.

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me