Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

Infant taken Neurofen overdose. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1981
Answered : 922 Questions
What will happen if a 2 year old girl takes 400mg of neurofen
Posted Tue, 26 Jun 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 3 hours later
Dose of Neurofen, for two year old girl is two liquid doses of 25 mg separated by few hours. If fever/pain is not reduced after two doses, consult a doctor.
Giving the eight times the amount of that dose will is likely produce some side effects and it has the potential to produce serious effects:

Do not panic usually drugs which are available OTC have therapeutic index that is ratio of drug producing toxic effects to therapeutic dose around 10. Meaning thereby over ten times the advised therapeutic dose will be generally very XXXXXXX So by that calculation, you child has still not ingested a toxic dose.

Side Effects and toxic effects:
Ibuprofen is generally well-tolerated and most people do not experience any side effects. The most common side effects are related to stomach irritation and include abdominal pain, indigestion and nausea. These can mainly be avoided by taking the ibuprofen with food. Rarely, serious side effects such as ulceration or bleeding of the stomach or intestines may occur. These are more likely with high doses and in elderly people. If your child experiences any sign of bleeding from the stomach or bowels after taking this medicine, such as vomiting blood and/or passing black/tarry/bloodstained stools, you should consult your doctor immediately.
Very rarely, reactions (eg Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, exfoliative dermatitis). For this reason, you should consult your doctor if your child gets a skin rash or sores inside the mouth after taking this medicine.
Consult your doctor immediately if any of the following is there:
1.History of disorders affecting the stomach or intestines.
2.Kidney disease.
3.Liver disease.
4.Heart failure.
5.Children with blood clotting problems or taking anticoagulant medicines.
6. History of asthma.
7. History of allergies.
8. Diseases affecting connective tissue, eg systemic lupus erythematosus.
Not to be used in
10. Children under three months of age or weighing less than five kilograms.
11. Children taking other NSAIDs, including COX-2 inhibitors
12. This medicine should not be used if your child is allergic to one or any of its
ingredients. Please inform your doctor or pharmacist if your child has previously
experienced such an allergy.

If you feel your child has experienced an allergic reaction, inform your doctor or pharmacist immediately.

I hope my answer has been useful. If you have any followup question please get back I will be happy to answer the question.

With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor