Infant suffered from jaundice. Will this have any after effect?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013
Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
Dear Doc...
My daughter was born on 21-5-2012. She suffered from jaundice.
Kindly go through her reports and advice if she would have any after effects in the future due to this. It is almost 1 year now. Also kindly advice/elaborate on the treatment given to her. We are a bit worried..
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 36 minutes later
HiXXXXXX,

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I went through the documents and it was suggestive of child admitted in NICU once for vomitings and once for urinary tract infection and baby was treated with antibiotics.

With this information what I can tell is this problem usually wont cause any effect in the future.

Antibiotic were given to her to treat the infection.

What I need is what is the level of jaundice at birth and how it was treated?

Is she getting any frequent urinary tract infections at present?

What is her present health and any health problems at present?

What is her present weight?

What about her developmental milestones like sitting, standing, walking?

If you provide this information in your next follow up query, I will try to advise you in a better way.

Awaiting for your query.

Regards.

Follow-up: Infant suffered from jaundice. Will this have any after effect? 14 minutes later
Dear Docs...

Thanks once again for your prompt reply...

Answers...

I have attached LAB reports.

Is she getting any frequent Yes..If she does not get a proper bath for a couple of days.

She has occasional fee-sing / Flem.

What is her present weight? 7.5 kgs...

Normal / She can walk with hep now..

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 28 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,

You are welcome.

Thank you for getting back.

I went through all the 10 documents you attached along with this query.

In these reports there is no jaundice report (total bilirubin, direct bilirubin).

Its ok if the jaundice is mild to moderate and if it was treated only with simple light treatment (phototherapy), or not required any treatment then we can say it is mild jaundice and usually wont effect the child in future.

If she is getting frequent urine reports), some times underlying urinary tract structural abnormalities should be investigated by doing ultrasound abdomen and pelvis after the advise of her Pediatrician.

Child was advised ultrasound abdomen in the past. What was the result of that scan?

On and off cough with phlegm is common in children and nothing to worry about it.

Children triples their birth weight by 1 year of age. So she should be around 8 to 8.5 kg by the 1 year. Try to increase her weight a little more by giving more nutritious diet.

Developmental milestones appears to be normal so nothing to worry.

So my advise is to investigate further is she is getting recurrent urine infections and give nutritious diet to increase her weight.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please feel free to get back.

Regards.