Infant recovered from meningitis. Suffered seizures and was treated. Has lost sight, hearing and movement impairment. Suggest?

Nov 2013

My 7 month old daughter just recovered from meningitis which was not quickly diagnosed (we live in Africa), she suffered seizures and was in coma for 5 days. She has since been stable after treatment with antibiotics for 3 weeks. she has however lost her sight (cortical blindness), hearing and has movement impairment. She is also unable to hold her neck still (almost like a new baby). I brought her over to d US last week for access to better medical facilities. what are her chances of growing up normal (sight, hearing and motion)?aja
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 40 minutes later
Thank you for posting your query.
Meningitis does adversely affect brain functions. The extent of damage depends on the severity of infection, and the duration of symptoms, before medications were started.
The severity of infection can be judged by clinical and MRI brain parameters. the fact that she was in coma for five days, means she had a severe infection. If you can upload the MRI brain report, it would be useful.
Most patients recover upto a good extent. Children and small babies recover upto a greater extent, because of neuronal plasticity.
I hope it helps.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My blog:
Follow-up: Infant recovered from meningitis. Suffered seizures and was treated. Has lost sight, hearing and movement impairment. Suggest? 10 minutes later
Thank u, I am having difficulties uploading d CT Scan we did in Nigeria. We are scheduled to see a pediatric neurologist in XXXXXXX Children tommorow and we are likely to be asked to do another CT Scan so I will upload that one if I can't upload the one I have. I have uploaded an interpretation of d first CT scan by d Nigerian doctors if it might be useful as well as a medical report of her situation as issued by d Nigerian hospital.

I am curious though what is d likelihood of recovery of sight and hearing from your experiene?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for getting back.

The interpretation of the first CT scan has not got uploaded yet, may be you can re-upload them. Also, please send the report of the new scan also, I would prefer an MRI brain, rather than CT scan.
As I said, recovery chances vary, however, it is better in young children.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)