Infant is passing frequent loose stool. Is this related to teething?

Pediatrician
Question
my 6 months old baby has started passing frequent loose stools of greenish colour, not sure what to do, I took him to my paed...she said his stomach looks fine, but if he continues to pass more frequently start on Z&D suspension of 1ml for 14days. I need to understand what is happening with my baby. Is there a possibility that he is teething so having this?
also I have started him on ragi XXXXXXX from last 14 days and Nestle Rice Cereal from 1 week. He is passing frequent loose stools from past 5 days. Is there a possibility that the cereal is causing this. Please advice
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 36 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,

Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX

I can feel your concerns, but nothing to worry about it.
Actually teething is indirectly related to loose stools as
babies used to put every thing to mouth which causes loose stools.
Keep the hand washed, take care of good hygiene. Also keep your floor clean too.

Rice cereal do not cause loose stools.
I would like to ask few questions to help you better.

1. Since how many days is he passing stools?
2. What is the frequency of passing stools?
3. Is he drinking eagerly?
4. Is he passing urine normally?
5. Is there any history of fever or blood in stools?

Give him extra fluids and ORS with cup and spoon method after every loose stool.
Also give him fresh yoghurt and bananas mashed together.

Continue with the Z&D suspension.

Awaiting your follow up.

Wishing him a speedy recovery.
Dr. XXXXXXX Hussain

Follow-up: Infant is passing frequent loose stool. Is this related to teething? 16 minutes later
Thanks for your quick response, below are the answers for your questions:

1. Since how many days is he passing stools? from past 5 days
2. What is the frequency of passing stools? after every feed he is passing stool, very little in quantity, around 8-10 times in a day
3. Is he drinking eagerly? yes he is drinking breastfeed and water very eagerly, but not interested in semi-solids
4. Is he passing urine normally? Yes, urine is normal
5. Is there any history of fever or blood in stools? No fever or blood in stools

Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 10 minutes later
My pleasure to answer you

Breast fed babies do pass stools 10 times a day which is normal. Give him extra feed.
Babies have small length of intestine and they use to pass stool frequently after taking feed.
Zinc will strengthen the Intestinal XXXXXXX lining and helps to improve loose stools.

Hope this information will be helpful to you
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.

regards
Dr XXXXXXX Hussain

Follow-up: Infant is passing frequent loose stool. Is this related to teething? 19 minutes later
One more thing I have noticed that today he is itching his ears a lot no crankiness, he is active and playing too, but noticeably itching his ears a lot

Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 17 minutes later
Its my pleasure again,

Itching the ears repeatedly is an early sign of acute ear infection.
Do feed him while his head is little bit higher not flat on bed.
Keep his ears dry by a cotton swab and he need antibiotics for this after consulting your ENT doctor.

If you have any quires you can consult me again or if you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you and your baby good health.

Dr XXXXXXX Hussain