Infant is having fever, started vomiting, passing white discharge from rectum. Is this serious?

Pediatrician
Question
My 17 month old has had a small amount of white, milky discharge from his rectum for the past 3 days. Today, he has a slight fever and has vomited once. Planning to take him to his pediatrician in the morning, but concerned that it could be something serious that may require more immediate care. He is eating and acting perfectly normally. Thoughts?
Posted Thu, 9 May 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 28 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

You mentioned that your son has a white, milky discharge from his rectum for the past 3 days. How frequently is the discharge present? Does he have loose motions? Associated fever and vomiting makes me think of an intestinal infection. The discharge may be passage of mucus.

Do give your son acetaminophen (Tylenol) in case fever persists. Do give him plenty of oral fluids and in case he vomits again you can give him onandesteron to control it.

It is always better to show him to the pediatrician who shall be in a better position to assess him and give you guidance.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please do revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your son an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
http://goo.gl/SuCjl

Follow-up: Infant is having fever, started vomiting, passing white discharge from rectum. Is this serious? 11 minutes later
The first time the discharge was milky and fluid - ever since it has been a relatively consistent presence in a small amount around his anus. Bowel movements have been normal. How serious is an intestinal infection?

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 6 minutes later

Thank you for the update.

What you describe seems to be mucus discharge. I would suggest that you get your son's stool examined.

It is not possible to tell about the seriousness of an intestinal infection without knowing the type of infection. In your son's case the doubt of infection arose because of associated fever and vomiting.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your son an early recovery.

Rajiv