Infant is having fever, loose motion. No relief from paracetamol drops. Any suggestion?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Sir my 7 month old baby girl is suffering from fever since last 14 hrs. I have given paracetamole drops three times. But still fever is there. She is also suferring from loose motion since last 12 hrs. She has done loose motion 6 times in last 12 hrs. Please suggest.
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 24 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX
First, dont worry. This sounds like simple gastroenteritis which is common in infants and usually is caused by viral infection. Fever cant fall so quick. This usually last for 2-3 days and usually is associated with repeated diarrheas which can last up to 7-8 days. The most importatnt thing is to keep her hydrated. These conditions may can cause dehydration, especially in babies so watch for signs of dehydration (e.g. dry lips, less wet nappies, sunken eyes, unusual sleepiness) and take your child to see a doctor urgently if you suspect it. It should be prevnted by small amounts of fluid given often.
Also, fever should fall on paracetamole but this isnt serious until it is higher than 102F.
Many mothers are concerned about such problems, but everything will be fine.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help