Infant having low lying and hydronephrotic kidney, PUJ obstruction, renal pelvis dilation. Is surgery really needed?

Urologist
Question
Is there really need for surgery if infant is having low lying & hydronephrotic left kidney -PUJ obstruction
left renal pelvis is dilated=35mm (when she was 4 days). At present she is 2.5 month
Posted Thu, 28 Jun 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 43 minutes later
I understand your query and concern.
If PUJ obstruction is the diagnosis, then operative correction is advisable, wherever the kidney is located.
If your urologist or pediatric surgeon has evaluated the child by doing proper tests like RENOGRAM with or without IVP and the diagnosis is confirmed, surgical procedure to remove the block and suturing is advisable.
Children tolerate the procedure well and it is safe for the kidney.
Hope I answered your query.
Kindly get back for doubts, if any.
Dr G XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Infant having low lying and hydronephrotic kidney, PUJ obstruction, renal pelvis dilation. Is surgery really needed? 15 hours later
We are thankful for your answer.Still we want to know that whether there is any other alternative treatment rather than surgery and if so than is it needed to do it now or we can do it after how much time? .Also what is the cost of such surgery in India .

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 hours later
Hi
I understand your query.
Based on examination of the child and after review of reports, a PEDIATRIC SURGEON (surgeon who operates specially for children) or a urologist will be able to assess the right time to operate.
The alternative is observation and do repeated renograms to assess the kidney function serially. If the function decreases, operation can be done.
The cost of operation would range from 50,000 to 70,000 in Chennai.
There is no medical treatment available, unfortunately.
Hope I answered your query.
Kindly get back for doubts, if any.
Dr G XXXXXXX