Infant has loose motions, mild fever. On paracetamol and ibuprofen. Taking ORS and boiled rice. What else to do?

Question
My son 2.5 year old Is having loose motion from last threedays 7-10 initial day large & now in small quantity with mild fever in a gap of 7 hours he is on medicine gramogyl & paracetamol& ibuprofen suspension on SOS ,entrozemena,his urine routine test shows rbc .he is taking ors & watery boil rice & brat diet kindly guide how long his loose motion wil last & when he will be perfect.
Urine examination report urine colour-slight lemon yellow ph -6.5, ketones- present (50mg/dl) R.B.C -2-3RBC/HPF, epithelial cells+(in small no)
Reg
XXXXXXX

Posted Tue, 26 Jun 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 2 hours later
Hello

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

Loose Motion can be caused by bacteria, viruses, food allergy, certain medications or teething in children. In diarrhea you have loose motions frequently. In acute case, your stool becomes very watery and quite frequently.

If you lose too much water, you may suffer by dehydration. It should be counteracted and ors is the main stay of the treatment.

Gramogyl is contains antibiotic it should be taken as prescribed and not sos (if necessary). I advice you to see the prescription properly.

Avoid sweetened fluids like sodas (including ginger ale), athletic drinks (like Gatorade), sugar water, and undiluted fruit juices.

I think he should be fine in day or two. I advice you to keep him hydrated and give frequent seeps of water.

I advice you to see doctor in case there is vomiting multiple times, signs of dehydration, such as dry mouth and infrequent urination, blood in his stool or black stool, a high fever — 103 degrees Fahrenheit.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer

Follow-up: Infant has loose motions, mild fever. On paracetamol and ibuprofen. Taking ORS and boiled rice. What else to do? 16 minutes later
Dear dr thanks for your reply we are already consulting Dr in this regard my son is taking treatment from last three day & we are giving him ors in every 10 minutes the only worrying part is whenever he is taking his medicine or liquid diet he is passing his stool which is watery & XXXXXXX in color also he is having mild fever in a gap of 7 hrs kindly advice on this aspect how to get rid of this.

Reg
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 9 minutes later
Hello
Good to hear from you.

I advice you to finish the course of antibiotic that has been prescribed. Even after finishing the course if the symptoms persist it is better to go for stool routine and culture and sensitivity testing.

As you have mentioned he is passing stool every 7 hours that is nearly 3 stool per day which is ok. Meanwhile i advice you to see that he take fluid regularly and should not be dehydrated.

I think he should be fine in day or two.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish your son good health.

Follow-up: Infant has loose motions, mild fever. On paracetamol and ibuprofen. Taking ORS and boiled rice. What else to do? 25 minutes later
Thanks dr just to clarify that he is having fever in 7 hour gap which is mild & he is passing stool in total 12 in a day which is watery &greenish in appearance rest he is ok with his activity kindly guide how we can stop his stool & fever & kindly also guide for his diet.

Reg
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 18 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Nice ti hear from you.

I do understand the parents will be very anxious about children.

The most common cause of acute diarrhea is a viral infection. Symptoms of viral infection can include watery diarrhea, vomiting, fever.

Viral infection usually begins 12 hours to 4 days after exposure, and resolves within three to seven days. No specific treatment is available for viral causes of diarrhea. Children with diarrhea from viral infections are best treated with supportive measures (oral rehydration solution, limited diet, rest). It is usually self limiting.

Regarding the diet i think your child is not dehydrated so should continue to eat a regular diet.

Most children with diarrhea tolerate full-strength cow's milk products. It is not necessary to dilute or avoid milk products.

Recommended foods include a combination of complex carbohydrates (rice, wheat, potatoes, bread), lean meats and vegetables. High-fat foods are more difficult to digest and should be avoided.

It is not necessary to restrict a child's diet to clear liquids or the BRAT diet. Neither contains enough nutrients and giving only clear liquids for several days can actually prolong diarrhea.

Wish your son good health.