Infant has fever and swollen stomach. What cure should be done?

Question
My nine month old is running a fever of 102 and her stomach is extremely swolen she has been acting uncomfortable for 5 days but fever just started today and the swelling is at its worst as well what should I do
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 23 minutes later
fever and tender abdomen deserves exclusion of a surgical emergency first. The commonest illness to be excluded when there is fever, general state of not feeling well and abdominal pain is acute appendicitis. Other causes of this could be a febrile enteritis of non surgical origin could also present in this fashion.
I would suggest you take the child urgently to the pediatric emergency room for an abdominal ultrasound, complete blood count, Erythrocyte sedimentation rate, C reactive protein and serum electrolytes.
I would suggest you take baby urgently to the emergency room for surgical emergencies to be ruled out.
Thanks for understanding and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Infant has fever and swollen stomach. What cure should be done? 1 hour later
Can a 9 month old have appendicitis

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 16 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the question.
Yes even a one week old can have appendicitis. Its is very possible. An acute abdomen has to be excluded.
Its important for it to be excluded. For its the case, as time paases, the outcome becomes also not very good.
I insist its a diagnosis which should be excluded. And I repeat even a one week old can have appendicitis.
Thanks for the questions and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Infant has fever and swollen stomach. What cure should be done? 9 minutes later
Thanks for the answers, we going to hospital pray that it s nothing

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 minutes later
Hi and thanks too,
believe its a great idea to go to hospital and exclude an acute abdomen. Praying for the best for your lovely baby,
Would be glad knowing the outcome form the hospital evaluation and management.
Just the best and good luck,
Luchuo, MD.