Infant has fever. Could have contracted typhoid. What should be done now?

My Daughter is having fever from yesterday night. She is 2.7 years old. My concern is that our nighbour's child who use to play with my child has been identified with typhoid in the starting stage.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 33 minutes later

Though it is too early to predict the nature of infection, there is a possibility it might be typhoid. Some people get typhoid fever by eating or drinking water that has been contaminated.
The common means of transfer are:
1. Sharing food or water without washing hands properly.
2. Raw fruits and vegetables, milk, and shellfish are the types of foods most often associated with illness.

The common symptoms seen are fever, headache, weakness, loss of appetite, stomach cramps, constipation or diarrhea may occur. These symptoms usually occur within 1-2 weeks after exposure to the bacteria, but can occur from 3 days to 3 months too.

I understand you are worried. But don’t worry much. Monitor her temperature frequently. You can try syp crocin 1 tsp thrice a day and also wipe her body with a wet cloth 3 to 4 times in a day till the temperature reduces. Give her plenty of fluids and fresh juice. Avoid anything spicy. Avoid caffeinated drinks and beverages.
Make sure she washes her hands before eating every time and also after going to toilet. Avoid eating food in road side stalls and unhygienic areas. Always carry drinking water with you. Ensure the water supply is safe before drinking it and use caution when consuming ice.

If symptoms persist, I encourage you to consult a pediatrician close by. She needs a careful physical examination. Some relevant test such as blood counts, urine analysis, cultures is entailed. She will be prescribed some antibiotics which will help her recover.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any further concerns. And do accept the answer if you do not have any further queries.

Wish your daughter a speedy recovery.