Inability to burp, shortness of breath, panic attacks. Symptoms present in stressful situations. Need help

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have panic attacks that seem to be related to an inability to burp properly. The inability to burp causes a shortness of breath that sends me into a panic attack. From there, it is like an increasing spiral of anxiety and inability to burp and shortness of breath. Any stressful situation can start the cycle going. If anyone has had this or knows what to do about it, please let me know.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 38 minutes later

Your symptoms could be due to stress induced gastritis or an panic disorder itself.

The shortness of breath can accompany with any form of anxiety.

As you already feel that stress is an important trigger, you need to avoid a stressful lifestyle. You should opt for a healthy balanced diet, adequate sleep and regular exercise schedule.

Whenever you get panic attack, avoid lying down and stay upright. Drink plenty of water and focus or concentrate on something else while taking slow XXXXXXX breaths.

If you feel your symptoms subside, then it could be just stress and nothing pathological.

If they persist do consult your doctor who can confirm the diagnosis after thorough evaluation and tests like ultrasound and xrays and refer you appropriately to a gastroenterologist or therapist.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.