In surgical menopause. On oral Estradiol and gaining weight. Have hot flashes, mood swings and brain fog. Suggest?

Hello! I am 42 years old & in surgical menopause since age 27 (no ovaries, uterus or cervix). I have been on oral Estradiol and am noticing an average weight gain of 10 lbs per year; however, I am still experiencing hot flashes, mild mood swings and brain "fog". I currently take 2 mg of oral Estradiol. My question the weight gain a side effect of the Estradiol OR is it happening because my dosage is not high enough to control the symptoms of surgical menopause?
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Estradiol causes weight gain

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question.
Weight gain is a known side effect of estradiol.
You are taking quite a sufficient dose of estrogen replacement.
In surgical menopause as compared to the normal menopause the hormone deficiency is abrupt & before surgery body is not being programmed to become used to this upcoming hormone deficiency.
Therefore, many doctors prescribe combined hormone replacement ( both estrogen & progesterone) to young women who have surgical menopause. You were given estrogen alone, there may be some reason for this choice being made for you, & this may be a reason why you are still experiencing the effects of hormone deficiency.
Anyway, you are 42 now & a combination therapy perhaps is not a better choice for you.
I think I have given you the desired information.
Follow-up: In surgical menopause. On oral Estradiol and gaining weight. Have hot flashes, mood swings and brain fog. Suggest? 1 hour later
One more question...if I lower my dosage of Estradiol will I be able to easily lose the weight I have gained? In theory I should no longer gain, but will the extra weight be easy to lose with diet and exercise? Thank you again for your time!
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Life style modifications are difficult but helpful

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, this is a theoretical possibility, if estradiol is the sole cause in your case.
It will not help if you are gaining weight due to improper diet & lack of exercise.
I strongly recommend that you should not lower the dose without consulting your treating physician as this may aggravate your post-menopausal symptoms & make yourself prone to other long term health problems like osteoporosis & cardiovascular problems.
It would be more appropriate if you adopt a more active life style with regular exercise & start eating a more healthy food.
Another common cause of weight gain is thyroid dysfunction. So, please check your TSH levels to rule this out.
Hope I have addressed your concerns properly.