In stage 5 renal failure and received a false positive urinalysis for alcohol. What can cause this?

I am in stage 5 renal failure and received a false positive urinalysis for alcohol. What can cause this?
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sugar, ketones, Metabolic abnormality, Lab error

Detailed Answer:
Hi thanks for using XXXXXXX

The chance of getting false positive for alcohol may be
1. High levels of sugar or acetone in the urine. It is usually seen in uncontrolled diabetes patients or in keto acidosis. If the diabetic has any infection, then microbes can produce ethanol as a biproduct when they use sugars. So they show false positive for alcohol.

2. Disorders of increased metabolism like fever, acute or severe illness. Even abnormal nutritional conditions like starvation, fasting, high protein or low carbohydrate diets can cause false positive result for alcohol.

3. Laboratory error due to contaminated equipment and introduction of air into the sample.

Hope this answered your query. Feel free to ask me if any further related queries and I will be glad to answer them.

Wish you good health.