In peri-menopause, having an overly sensitive clitoris. Anyway to get rid of it ?

Excellent

Question
I've it peri-menopause and am struggling with an overly sensitive clitoris. Unfortunately I have PTSD from childhood trauma that manifests in that particular area, so I'm having almost constant, severely unwelcome, somatic memories. I'm married, and I know I'm supposed to want an orgasm, but I'll happily give that up if I could just get RID OF the clitoral sensitivity. Is there any way I could NUMB IT? Yes, I've been to therapy and doctors for years and they say they can't do anything--they can't sever nerves. I'm looking for something less drastic, simply to help soothe and quiet the area that my hormones have turned into a monster!
Posted Sun, 3 Jun 2012 in Women Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi there.

Do you have any vaginal discharge, vaginal itching, lower abdominal pain, burning sensation on passing urine ?

Are you having irregular menstrual cycles ?

Is your clitoris reddish in color and painful to touch now, than before ?

There is possibility of allergic reaction of your body to possible change in underwear or soap used. This can case increased sensitivity and pain. Kindly use pure cotton underwear which needs t be washed regularly with allergen free detergent. Also use mild Soap while bathing.

Other cause could be infection which can be treated after proper diagnosis. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Avoid sexual intercourse till you are diagnosed and treated.

In order to temporarily reduce sensation of clitoris, you may try applying Lignocaine jelly 2%, under medical supervision, on the affected region of clitoris. This will numb the sensations for sometime.

I suggest you get a Psychiatric consult to help you deal with possible running issues of possible PTSD and it's proper management so that you will be relieved of such somatic symptoms.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.

Follow-up: In peri-menopause, having an overly sensitive clitoris. Anyway to get rid of it ? 31 minutes later
No, I don't have any of the symptoms you mentioned. I have no menstrual cycles, as I had an ablation 4 years ago and no longer bleed. I have seen a gynecologist recently and she noticed nothing abnormal with the clitoris; just that my hormones were way off (FSH). I'm already on Zoloft, yet it does not seem to have any numbing effect. I'm also on a low dose of birth control (progesterone), which is supposed to regulate the hormones as much as possible. I will try the Lignocaine jelly. I have made no appt with a Psychiatrist because they say there's nothing they can do; I spent 20 years trying to resolve the problem, but my sensitivity to noise stimulates that area to an intolerable degree, and avoidance therapy is the only strategy they could recommend. My clitoris is no painful, per se--it's simply extremely sensitive and it seems no amount of rubbing makes it go away, (satisfies it), especially when I receive PTSD-triggering stimuli. Irony is that I can't even orgasm during sex :( Thanks for the recommendation. It may be the only form of relief I can get, since the Psychotherapists cannot retrieve any distinct memories of the trauma and cannot rewire my brain so that it will stop sending unwanted stimulation to that area at the wrong times. Thanks again so much

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 11 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for the reply.

During early menopause there will be hormonal fluctuations which may cause increased irritability, hot flashes, mood changes, sleep disturbances etc. This should get resolves in a few months.

Avoidance therapy may be beneficial to a good extent to prevent these symptoms.

Kindly avoid stress. Do Yoga daily for stress relief which will do miracles in reducing symptoms of early menopause as well. Keep your hormone levels in check with regular monitoring and required therapy.

Eat healthy, exercise daily, stay stress free for a healthy and more fulfilling lifestyle.

Wishing good health.