Immovable, knot-like lump on knee, painless, hard, can be felt while bending leg. What is it?

I have a quarter size immovble knot like lump 2 inches above the knee when I extend my leg you can feel in when I bend my leg you cannot its painless. Harder than softer What is it?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 27 minutes later

The lump that you describe could be a neurofibroma/lipoma. A physical examination by a surgeon will confirm.

Neurofibroma / lipoma is basically a lump of fibrous tissue/adipose tissue. Its not cancerous and not harmful. Surgical removal is sometimes needed when there is function impairment or when you develop symptoms.

I suggest you to see your doctor for localised examination of the lump. You may plan the necessary procedure after discussing with them.

Hope I have answered your query. Should you have any additional concerns I will be available to clarify them.

Follow-up: Immovable, knot-like lump on knee, painless, hard, can be felt while bending leg. What is it? 23 hours later
I just wanted to add that it is not visible it is noticeable only to the touch. I am afraid of a bone cancer?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 hours later
Hi again,
From your description bone cancer is unlikely.Bone cancer affects the bone and isnt felt on touch. There is a lot of muscle and tissue between the skin and the bone.

Its more likely to be the possibilities i have already mentioned.