Immature granulocytes present in blood. Should I be concerned?

Should I be concerned that the Immature Granulocytes in my blood are 0.05.
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 5 hours later
Thanks for writing your concerns to us.
Immature Granulocytes ( IG ) are normally absent from peripheral blood. But small variations outside the "normal" range do not indicate anything special.
Healthy individuals do not have immature granulocytes present in their peripheral blood and consequently the presence of IG in the blood indicate increased bone marrow activation as seen in sepsis & absolute number of immature granulocytes is significantly higher in infected patients than in non-infected individuals.
If increased IG occurs along with an increase in neutrophils ( a type of white blood cell ) following conditions may be present: Bacterial infections, Acute inflammatory diseases, Cancer (particularly with marrow metastasis), Tissue necrosis, Acute transplant rejection, trauma, Myeloproliferative diseases, Steroid use, Pregnancy (mainly during the third trimester).
Increased IG may occur without an increase in neutrophils in elderly patients, neonates, and patients with myelosuppression.
In these situations, isolated increase in IGs (>2%) can be useful for recognizing an acute infection, even when not suspected clinically.
I don't want to scare you but your history of recent appearance of Acanthosis Nigricans & a small rise in IGs appear slightly significant to me as if this condition is seen after 40 years it may have an association with an XXXXXXX malignancy like adenocarcinoma of the GI tract, uterus, lung, breast, or ovary. The stomach is the most common site. Acanthosis nigricans of the oral mucosa or tongue is highly suggestive of a neoplasm, especially of the GI tract.
So, as you are 52, I recommend that you should have a general health check up, to exclude any undiagnosed pathology, by a physician specially if you have any symptom related to these organs.
wish you good health.
Follow-up: Immature granulocytes present in blood. Should I be concerned? 1 hour later
I have had a lower back ache for a couple of months now. The pain isn't steady but I am uncomfortable sometime every day. In your opinion, could my back pain be related to a cancer related tumor? Also, I have painful varicose veins on my lower female area. Do you think that could be related to the Acunthosis Nigricans or cancer?
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 12 hours later
Welcome back & thanks for your question.
Most common reason of menopause is bone weakness due to age related hormone deficiency. However you must see a physician to rule out other possibilities including a local cause.
Yes, a tumor may cause back pain if it is located in that area or has secondary implants in back bones.
Painful varicose veins may indicate a blood clot or infection in the veins. This may have caused your raised IG levels. I don't know how much is your weight? as in obese people both conditions i.e. Acanthosis Nigricans & varicose veins (due to raised intra-abdominal pressure) may coexist.
Please don't get upset, I have just made you aware of a theoretical risk of cancer. It doesn't mean that you have cancer. Just get a thorough systemic review by a qualified doctor & be relaxed. Your painful varicose veins certainly need evaluation & treatment as there is a risk of blood clot formation in them which may migrate & cause trouble for you.
Please contact back if you have any more question.