Imbalance that is worsening. Stopped Lexapro few days back. Normal?

I woke up feeling very off balance, took a few steps to walk straight. I'm 5 days into stopping Lexapro, I have tapered off slowly but am now off it completely and balance/disequilibrium is getting bad. Is this normal and how long will it last? I was also diagnosed with a variant of Ménière's disease but have felt better over last month. These off balance symptoms feel like it is coming back or could it be the lexapro withdrawal?
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Lexapro withdrawal can be associated with a number of potential complications including dizziness and loss of balance.

The symptoms can last up to 14 days in most persons , rarely it can last 2 to 3 months.
It is best if it is tapered under doctor supervision so that any complications can be monitored and addressed.

In terms of the variant of meniere's, this condition is also a common cause of vertigo, it is one of the three most common causes. It is usually associated with hearing loss and tinnitus ( perception of sound in the ear such as ringing or buzzing).
If you experienced these additional symptoms before when the meniere's was particularly bothersome and they are not present on this occasion then it is likely that the symptoms are solely related to the lexapro withdrawal.

Meniere's can be treated in some cases by the reduction of salt intake and the use of diuretic medication.

It is also possible to have a combination of the two affecting your balance.

You may want to consider visiting your doctors for an assessment to exact which is definitely causing your symptoms.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions