I stubbed my pinky toe last night on a piece

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I stubbed my pinky toe last night on a piece of furniture. Felt like it yanked the toe away from the other toes, and the toe was kind of stuck, flared out and crampy feeling. I pushed it back towards the other toes and it stayed in place. This morning there is a bruise at the base of the toe. Putting a shoe on is uncomfortable, and I can’t put a lot of weight on that foot while in a shoe without discomfort causing me to favor it and limp. I heard and felt no cracking or breaking when I stubbed it originally. As long as I don’t put a shoe on, I can walk without pain or limping. I wonder if I might have broken it, but again, I neither felt nor heard anything like a cracking or breaking sound when I stubbed it. I broke my ankle many years ago (trimalleolar fracture), and at that time it sounded like a tree limb breaking. Maybe because the toe is so much smaller a break wouldn’t be as loud.
Posted Fri, 24 Nov 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be a soft tissue injury.

Detailed Answer:
I have seen the attached image. This seems to be a soft tissue injury. Any bone injury is less likely however this can be confirmed only after an X-ray.
It is best to strap the toe to the adjoining toe for a support and consult a physician in case the pain or swelling increases.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal