I have got kidney stones. On HCTZ. Does this cause any damage to kidney?

I am a 50 y/o female. I have gotten kidney stones 3 or 4 times over the years. About 18 months ago they started coming about once a month. Now I am having up to 3 per week. I am on HCTZ for them, However they keep getting worse. My Dr. just keeps saying lets get all of them out and maybe you won't make anymore. Do they cause kidney damage? They are ruining my life.
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Kidney stones occur due to various causes involving metabolism of substances like cysteine ,urea,uric acid, calcium and oxalic acid.The stones are formed due to excess and subsequent deposition of the above said substances in the urine.

A detailed work up through blood tests has to be made to identify the exact cause and the substance involved.It is then a specific treatment and preventive measures can be applied.

Yes, kidney stones if bigger than 5 mm can cause serious problem if left untreated or occur frequently.One such complication is Hydronephrosis which is due to back pressure on the kidney parenchyma and hinder the kidney functioning.

Do discuss with your treating doctor about the cause and specific treatment plan. It is necessary for prevention of recurrent kidney stones to avoid unfavourable complications in the kidney.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.