I have gained weight after hysterectomy. What should I do for weight loss?

Aug 2012

Hi, my details are below:
I am a 47 year old caucasian woman
I have two adult children and had a historectomy 7 years ago due to excessive menstrual symptoms of depression, anxiety and mood swings. My cycle had also accelerated and I was experiencing a cycle every 2.5 to 3 weeks
I have a significantly stressful job where I spend 12 hours a day behind a computer
I try to jog 2 to 3 times a week where I cover around 7 to 10 kms in a week
I eat regular meals that are well balanced but have a tendancy to snack at around 4pm to keep my energy levels up. I often have a glass or two of wine at night to relax.
My problem is my weight gain that has been ratcheting up almost at a rate of 1kg every 2 months or so, which I am unable to shake off . Additionally, when I run, I tend to almost swell up for days afterwards and instead of helping me to lose weight, it seems to make me put more on.
What advice can you give me please?
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 4 hours later
Hi there.

I feel the efforts for energy output are not enough compared to the sedentary, stressful work and eating habits (energy input) you have. Age is another additional factor as your metabolism slows down at this age and you tend to gain weight faster.
Still my first advice will be to check your thyroid by doing TSH test for two reasons- you have high cholesterol and you tend to have body swelling with body exertions. In case TSH is in abnormal range then we will take care of that first. Then we shall discuss on how to take care of your daily routine with reduced food intake without feeling low in energy and how to go up on physical activity.
Let me know the reports of Fasting and post meal blood glucose levels and TSH level, we shall take it further.