I have PCOS. Diagnosed with cyst growing in ovary. Developed sharp pain in tailbone. What should I do?

I have PCOS, my doctor told me that there were a lot of cysts that were growing in XXXXXXX 2012. Two weeks ago I developed a sharp pain where my tailbone is. It feels as if I fractured it, only I never fell.
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Your PCOS has no connection with tail bone pain.
Generally pain at tail bone or coccyx bone( coccydynia ) is caused by some injury or some excess pressure on the tail bone area may result in tne movement of bones beyond their normal range of motion,resulting in local pain and inflammation.
This extra pressure on tail bone may be caused by activities like horse riding,playing tennis or weight lifting etc.
Sometimes bones of coccyx can fracture if you happen to fall on your butt.
Some times there may be local tumor or infection resulting in pain.One may get pilonidal cyst or abscess.
In some cases there is no apparent cause for the pain.

Diagnosis can be done by physical examination,x-ray and MRI of sacrum and coccyx bone.

Treatments for coccydynia are usually noninvasive and local. The first line of treatment typically includes:

Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen help reduce the inflammation around the coccyx that is usually a cause of the pain.

Applying ice or a cold pack to the area several times a day for the first few days after the pain starts.
Applying heat or a hot pack to the area after the first few days.

Avoiding sitting for prolonged periods, or placing any pressure on the area, as much as possible.

A custom pillow to help take pressure off the coccyx when sitting. Some find a donut-shaped pillow works well for them.
Some times local injection may help

If pilonidal cyst or abscess is the cause then surgery is required.

Very rarely surgical removal of tail bone is done in cases where pain is persistent and can't be managed with conservative treatment.

Consult a surgeon and get the diagnosis made as treatment will depend upon the cause.

Do write to me if there is any other additional query.
Best of luck