I found a lesion in the roof of my mouth which is bleeding. What should I do?

ENT Specialist
Hi Doctor, I found a legion on the roof of my mouth few days ago (right side). This morning while brushing my teeth, I noticed is bleeding a little. Help!
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 52 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

You have to describe your lesion in greater detail such as:
1. Size. How large is the lesion?
2. Appearance. Is it like a growth or ulcer?
3. Is it raised above the surface?
4. Is it Painful?
5. Is it soft, firm or hard (bony)?
6. Exact location- hard or soft palate/
7. Any history of injury while eating?
8. Any other detail, however minor.

You may also have someone else take a few photographs and mail it to YYYY@YYYY with Attn. Dr. Sumit Bhatti in the subject line. Post an alert here.

I would then be able to help regarding your query in detail.

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: I found a lesion in the roof of my mouth which is bleeding. What should I do? 1 hour later
Thank you for your answer. The legion is not large- no more than 1in long and kind of wide at the top (1/2 in) and thin as goes down (kind of funny heart shape). It is not a growth or ulcer and does not raised above the surface. It was kind of painful few days ago and it is bony; located in the hard palate area. No history of injury myself while eating. I did eat though a meal that I had on the freezer for long time- this was on Monday last week (4/25/11). And also on Wednesday night when having dinner, also on the right side- a tiny tonsil became active and grew in size and then went down
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Hi again,

Thanks for the information,

Based on the description you provided,

1. It seems to be a 'torus palatinus'.

2. This is a normal, slow growing bony swelling seen in the hard palate in some people. It is usually in the mid line, broad based, sometimes heart shaped, tapering, though it may be smaller, multiple or more on one side.

3. It does not require treatment unless it has reached a size that causes it to get frequently traumatized while eating coarse, rough or hard pieces of food. Rarely, it may cause improper fitting of dentures.

4. Being bony, the blood supply is normally poor, leading to slow healing and infection. Your tonsil swelling may have been in response to a minor local infection on or around this torus..

5. In absence of a photograph or an opportunity for an actual oral examination, to be absolutely safe, get yourself examined. Small palatal lesions such as minor salivary gland growths are easy to treat. If you find a torus disturbing, you may have it surgically reduced or drilled down.

I hope I have satisfactorily answered your query.