I am type 2 diabetic. Noticed itchy skin around penis head. Are they related?

The skin around the head of my penis itches (don't have any swelling or redness) but only when I go to bed. I have type 2 diabetes could that have something to do with it?
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 43 minutes later
Hi and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your question...

People with diabetes are indeed more prone to develop infections. Especially, yeast infections (Candida) of the penis can occur commonly in diabetics. This condition can cause itching and sometimes swelling, redness and whitish precipitates.

I would suggest that you wash your penis (after retracting the skin) with a mild or diluted anti-septic solution two to three times a day and apply a thin layer of anti-fungal cream at night.

Importantly, please check your sugars and make sure that they are under control. (often, such infections can indicate that your blood sugars may not be under control)

If the infection is persistent or worsening, please visit a doctor for a proper examination and further treatment.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar