I am trying to get off of prestiq how do I do it?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2014
Dec 2014

Psychiatrist
Question
I am trying to get off of prestiq
how do I do it
Posted Sat, 1 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Hello
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Prestiq is desvenlafexine. It is a good antidepressant and anti anxiety drug. You are taking 50 mg per day. It acts by increasing serotonin and noradrenaline neurotransmission in brain. Abrupt stopping of this drug results in withdrawal syndrome. I would advise you to decreasing the dose gradually over 4-6 weeks. Start from taking the dose of 25 mg per day for about 3 weeks and then take 25 mg every alternate day for next 2-3 weeks and then stop taking it. Although chances of withdrawal with this drug are high but you are taking the doses of 50 mg only and risk of withdrawal with this dose is not very high. If you develop intermittent anxiety episodes then you can take low dose benzodiazepine drug on SOS basis.

Hope it helps you, If you have more queries you can ask in follow up.

Thanks
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD