I am skinny. What is the best age to build the muscle mass and suggest the diet plan?

Dietitian & Nutritionist
Hi doctor

Im too skinny and im sick of people making fun of me all the time

Now i join the gym

I will start to eat 4 meals a day

Brakfast 8 am
Launch 1 pm
Meal 4:30 pm

6 pm gym

Now should i drink protien shake first after gym or eat my meal ?

And how many minutes after workout should i drink my protien or eat my meal?

Please help me and advise me

Im 58 kg
170 cm

27 years old

And can i build muscle at this age 27 ?

Im nearly 28

What is the best age to build muscle masss
Posted Sat, 1 Sep 2012 in Diet Plans
Answered by Grace Abraham 10 hours later

Thanks for posting your Query,

According to your height and weight, your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 20.1 kg/m, which is underweight; the normal BMI range is from 18.5-24.9 kg/m. Ideal body weight for your height should between 65 kg to 70 kg.

Weight gain is as difficult as losing it, if you are naturally thin. It is not a good idea of increasing intake of junk foods and fatty foods to gain weight. You should be eating calorie dense yet nutritious food. Your calorie intake should come from foods that are healthy for you. The weight gaining diet should include high protein foods, high carbohydrate foods and healthy fats.

Following are some tips to follow to gain weight. You will take some time to gain the weight you need, but be patient.

- Consume more calories than you burn. Choose healthy foods to add calories.

- Drink healthy beverages to add calories.

- Mangoes are XXXXXXX in calories and carbohydrates; include them in your diet.

- Eat healthy food frequently, 5-6 times a day - 3 larger meals and 3 smaller meals alternately. Separate them by at least 3 hours so you can digest each meal fully. Don't go without food for 5-6 hours after having a major meal.

- Have a balanced diet.

- Exercise regularly for healthy weight gain. Some thin people think that exercise is not good for them. This is not true, it keeps the metabolism high. Remember that eating alone is not sufficient. You don't want to gain fat but lean mass, so exercise is important.

- Protein is the key for the muscle mass. Without adequate protein, muscle gain is not possible because weight training demand for amino acids (which comes from protein). Good sources of protein foods: whey, fish, dairy products (low fat variety), meats, nuts and seeds (almonds, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds).

- Milk is one of the best muscle foods. The milk contains two high quality proteins, about 80 percent whey and 20 percent casein. So include them.

- Healthy fats are monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats and omega-3 fatty acids.
Good fats: cold pressed oils (olive, sunflower, linseed, canola, and best cooking oil)

- Complex carbohydrates are also needed.

- Some people think that drinking beer helps gain weight. But it is not true; it accumulates in your abdomen, making it fatty.

- Avoid tea coffee after meals. Avoid sweets at the dinner time. Use full cream milk and curd.

- Soya flour should be mixed in equal parts to wheat flour and mix cream while kneading dough for making chapatti

- Include soya products, nuts and dry fruits in your diet

- Don't add calories to your meals by choosing unhealthy fried foods such as French fries, chicken nuggets and fish sticks. Choose foods that are prepared with cooking methods like baking, poaching, and stir-frying.

Remember that it can take a while to gain the weight you need, but be patient and continue to choose foods that are good for you until you reach your goal weight. Here are a few tips to get you started:
•Have an extra slice of whole-grain toast with peanut butter at breakfast.
•Add extra cheese to an omelette.
•Slice an XXXXXXX and serve with almond butter.
•Stir chopped nuts into plain yogurt and top with honey.
•Serve yourself larger portions of starchy vegetables like potatoes and sweet corn.
•Add calories with a nutritious beverage such as milk, 100% fruit juices, or vegetable juice.

Generally after workout, you need to take high protein food so that the muscles absorb them and help in building. You can take any fruit milkshakes, or you can try using protein supplements like ENSURE or RESOURCE HIGH PROTEIN which can be taken with milk to enhance the muscle building.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you have any doubts

Grace Abraham