I am overweight. Stomach feels fat. How to control this and keep myself fit?

Jan 2013

Hello. I am a 35 year old female and I have put on a bit of weight over the last 18 months or so. I have never had children. I am 166cm tall and now weigh 70kg. What concerns me most is that my stomach seems pretty fat. My waist measurement varies from 86 - 90 cm and my belly below my waist protrudes quite a lot over my pants. The part of my stomach that protrudes the most measures 95cm. My hips are 102cm. My body fat has been measured as 35%. My stomach also seems to look really big when i sit down. I had realised that I had developed a bit of a tummy but when I took some photos today, I was shocked by just how large it looks. When I sit down, my stomach gets much bigger looking and then has 3 rolls of fat. The top roll is quite small (it measures 2cm) but it is still noticeable. The next one down is 7cm The bottom roll is the biggest and it measures 13cm. When I stand up, the bottom 2 rolls of fat are still there (but a bit smaller of course) I would like to know if you think that I would now be classified as overweight. Thank you very much.
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 39 hours later
Overweight and obesity is calculated by BMI (Basal metabolic index), Body fat, waist hip ratio.

Your BMI is 25.40.
> 25 BMI has been defined as overweight as Dietary Guidelines provided by the US Department of Agriculture and the Department of Health and Human Services, 2000.

Your body fat is 35%.
The American Dietetic Association recommends that men have 15-18% body fat and women have 20-25% body fat.
So your body fat is high.

Your hip waist ratio is 0.88.
WHO STEPS states that abdominal obesity is defined as a waist–hip ratio above 0.90 for males and above 0.85 for females.
Women with high WHR (0.80 or higher) have significantly lower pregnancy rates than women with lower WHRs (0.70–0.79).

So you are overweight.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: I am overweight. Stomach feels fat. How to control this and keep myself fit? 11 hours later
How concerned should I be by the size of my stomach?
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Because of hormonal changes with increasing age, increase in abdominal circumference is common.
Yes, increasing abdominal size is a concerning issue.
You should restrict your calorie intake and increase your physical activity.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava