I am allergic to dust. Getting frequent cold. Taking otrivin nosal drop. Looking for permanent cure

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi Doctor..I have problem of Cold.I get cold most of the time..I am facing this problem since about last10-12 years..nostrils block,runny nose are the issue.I am constantly taking Otrivin Nosal drops, without it cant breath from my nose..condition get worse in rainy season and winter..I stay away from cold foods and drinks but still no respite.I am allergic to dust,stray etc..Pls help!!
Posted Tue, 9 Oct 2012 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 58 minutes later

Hi

Thanks for the query

You are suffering from Allergic rhinitis.

Allergic rhinitis is a common condition characterized by an immunoglobulin E (IgE)-mediated inflammation of the nasal mucosa following exposure to allergens. It is characterized by sneezing, nasal discharge and nasal congestion.

During allergic rhinitis there is inflammation of the nasal mucosa causing blockage of the sinus openings leading to accumulation of the nasal secretions in the sinus. Also, there is trickling of the nasal secretions behind the throat causing throat discomfort and cough.

The common triggerers of allergy are the pollen, dust, fumes, coils smoke, etc. The bitter truth is, there is no cure for allergy, and only the preventive measures when followed can get rid of allergy.

Preventive measures such as avoiding the triggering allergens such as dust, smoke, strong perfumes and changing the pillow cover every night before going to bed can reduce the further attacks. Also, avoid sleeping directly under the fan or in front of the air conditioner.

My advice to you:
1. To use saline and steroid (such as fluticasone or momentasone) nasal sprays.
2. An antihistaminic such as fexofenadine or loratidine.
3. Drink plenty of warm water.
4. Avoid using Otrivin nasal drops. If you use the drops for more than 5 days, there will be a ‘rebound phenomenon’ once you stop the medicine. With this rebound phenomenon you will find your nose to be blocked even when there is no nasal block.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: I am allergic to dust. Getting frequent cold. Taking otrivin nosal drop. Looking for permanent cure 1 hour later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX for your prompt reply...

I have got 3 follow up queries for you..
1. If not Otrivin, then what should i use to remove the blockage, as you prescribed"saline and steroid (such as fluticasone or momentasone) nasal sprays XXXXXXX
Pls suggest the name of spray i can you use..for how many days and if there is any side effects?

2.what are the bad and good foods in my case..(what should avoid )

3. Is there any urgency to XXXXXXX the doctor in personal as of now? if getting worse as it is getting worse year by year

Thanks very much for your help again..!!
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

1.     If not Otrivin, then what should i use to remove the blockage, as you prescribed"saline and steroid (such as fluticasone or momentasone) nasal sprays XXXXXXX
A:      Steroid spray with brand name such as Flixonase, flomist, rhinocort-aqua, etc. can be used. Saline nasal spray if used along with steroid nasal spray will give better results. You can use the steroid spray for duration of 5-6 months continuously and later on gradually tapered. Please consult your doctor for the appropriate dosage.

2.     What are the bad and good foods in my case..(what should avoid )
A:     Each individual is unique and the body responds differently to the food taken and the surrounding environment. In your case, it is more of dust allergy than food allergy. Please follow the instructions as per the previous response and you will be definitely alright.

3.     Is there any urgency to XXXXXXX the doctor in personal as of now? if getting worse as it is getting worse year by year?
A:      It is better to consult a good ENT specialist at the earliest and get treated for the same. ‘The more you delay, the more it gets worsened’.

Wish you good health

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: I am allergic to dust. Getting frequent cold. Taking otrivin nosal drop. Looking for permanent cure 45 hours later
Hello Dr XXXXXXX Thanks for your reply..really appreciate it..!!

My have one last question for you..and it is regarding the dose.
I have taken Flixonase nasal spray as per your prescription..What should be the dose for me..?
It didnt give its effect immediately, i suppose ..i took it yesterday but nasal blockage was not removed even after 4 sprays (2 drops to each nostril).

Please guide..

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 9 hours later
Hi

Welcome back

You should use flixonase spray in the morning only, as soon as you get up from the bed. It should be sprayed 2puffs in each nostril. Shake the bottle well, put your head down, spray 2 puffs in each nostril, immediately lift up the head and take a XXXXXXX breath. Also, you need to take an antihistaminic along with this spray, preferably in the night.

If you are not feeling better even after using this, then you will require a short course of oral steroids (such as prednisolone or dexamethasone). Meanwhile, continue using the spray and take antibiotics.

Do not get disappointed, you consult your doctor, he will be able to prescribe all the above medicines for you.

Wish you good health and good luck.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon