I am alcoholic and non vegetarian. Test done for cholesterol, triglyceride and uric acid. What does the finding says?

i am 47 years and very healthy and doing walking for 60 mnts every day .
I do not smoke but i take alchohal every day measuring 3 -4 pegs every day.
i eat non-veg and egg once a week,

i just got tests done in which findings are ;
cholestrol ;164 , triglycerdides 363 , HDL 27 , LDL 64 , VLDL 72
glucose random 114
SGOT 40 SGPT 41 URIC ACID 8.50 , GGTP 81.

please tell me what is the status of my health and waht is GGTP about..?
Posted Tue, 9 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 55 minutes later

Thanks for posting a query to XXXXXXX

I am glad to know that you walk daily for 1 hour or so, and do not smoke. But that is not enough, you need to understand. Although total cholesterol and LDL is normal, triglycerides are high at 363mg; desirable is 150mg or less, and HDL level is low at 27mg - it should be high as this is "Good cholesterol".

You need to modify your diet - reduction of fats and high calories refined carbohydrates like white flour. In non vegetarian diet egg white may be taken, avoid yolk, red meat fish in limited amount may be taken. Medication may be decided in consultation of Physician.

GGT (Gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase) is liver enzyme which is elevated in cases of alcohol induced injury to liver. At 81, it is mildly raised (10 to 50 IU/L).

Your Uric acid is also high 8.5 (adult > 7mg/dl). Hence non vegetarian diet needs to be restricted and may require a drug to decrease uric acid.

In all, alcohol is to be completely stopped, if not at least to be taken in moderation (that is not more than 60 ml/day).

I would like to know if you over weight or not? - Your current weight and height?

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries, if any.