I am 48 years old. Why am I getting bleeding between periods? Worrisome

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi I am 48 years old and started my period 3 weeks agao. Bleed 1 week with heavy days then stopped and then started again second week with bleeding regular, then bleeding slowed and stopped then spotting end of week till now. Looking for answers. XXXXXXX -- YYYY@YYYY
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 56 minutes later
hi,

the possible causes for your symptoms are,

-in case of ovulatory cycles this can be due to irregular shedding of endometrium which occurs due to incomplete atrophy of corpus luteum, this is common in perimenopausal age group,

-in case of anovulatory bleeding, metropathia hemorrhagica is a condition seen in perimenopausal age group which occurs due to increased secretion of estrogen leading to endometrial growth without opposed by growth limiting progesterone,

-rarely uterine fibroids, polyps etc can lead to irregular bleeding.

so you once consult gynecologist and undergo physical examination and ultrasound examination which can possibly find out the cause, if needed you can go for endometrial sampling and hormonal evaluation which will accurately find out the cause and treatment can be taken accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: I am 48 years old. Why am I getting bleeding between periods? Worrisome 30 minutes later
Thankyou. This occured once about 3 months ago, but this time a little more irregular. the last time when I saw my Dr. He said he treats patients not firbrods. He did the endometrial biopsy with no abnormal cells found. He would not speculate on any relationship to fibroids. I have no pain. This is just very inconvienent and a little uncomfortable for me. My GYN doctor told me to go in peace and see him I think next month. I want to wait preferbly. I will tell you that I had 1 drink on July 14th before this cycle and an accidental alcholic beverage a week & 1/2 ago. I have read that alcohol and stress can be contributory factors as estrogen gets blocked. I am trying to combat naturally with primrose oil and Milk Thistle liver cleanser. Review, comment and rell me should I press for more hormonal test. I mostly trust my MD.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 57 minutes later
hi,

I just told fibroids as one last option, so if your doctor told that you are not having fibroids it is good,
suggested endometrial sampling to find out the status of endometrium like changes of proliferative phase or secretory phase or mixed etc which will give clue regarding hormonal imbalance,
drinking alcohol once may not be contributing to your problem but continuous stress can have impact,
you can continue your natural remedies as no harm in it, if your problem gets identified by ultrasound itself like increased thickness of endometrium, multiple polyposis etc, then there may not be any need for hormonal evaluation as I told previously, you can follow the advice of your doctor as he can examine you directly and can give better suggestion.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: I am 48 years old. Why am I getting bleeding between periods? Worrisome 4 hours later
Thank you again. My final question is do you think based on your experience and what you know about m case, do you think that I should insist my doctor give me more test. No do have s follow up next month. Also you said that I said no fibroids. I do have fibroids. I just don't know where they ate located exactly .

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 8 hours later
hi,

though fibroids are there sometimes they may be asymptomatic which do not need treatment, so your doctor may be ignored because of that,
according your description there is more possibility for hormonal imbalance, that can be picked up by ultrasound sometimes as I told before,
this can be managed by tablets usually,
so you doctor may be aware of your problem with your prior reports and what to go for conservative management for few months as he is expecting that your symptoms may decrease by that time,
as you again had bleeding episode better go for treatment according to my opinion.