I am 44 year old. Feeling pain in centre of chest. No heart or blood pressure problem in family. Any suggestion?

I am a 44 year old white female, about 25 pounds overweight but otherwise excellent health. I have been having pain in the center of my chest with the pain increasing dramatically anytime I bend down, lift something or exert extra effort so I'm thinking maybe I bruised or hurt myself but I don't remember anything out of the ordinary happening. No heart disease in my family and my blood pressure has always been more on the low side than high. I have no health insurance and 4 children so I ususally try to avoid the doctor if possible. Thank you in advance. XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ravindra L Kulkarni 1 hour later

Thanks for writing the query. I appreciate your health concern .

Considering your age and non significant family & your current history about present complaints, the chest pain looks like non cardiac - non heart related . Common causes are chest wall muscle related. In these cases simple over the counter pain killers help. Have you tried them? Did you get relief?

As a routine measure to rule out any hidden disease, considering your age & high BMI, I will definitely recommend you basic preventive heart check up like ECG, Lipid Profile & if required Stress test ( TMT ). This should be a part of your annual physicals, if you have not done yet for this year it should be right time. You can also have consultation of your local Physician after you get these tests done who can be cheaper than a Cardiologist.

It is right to start a regular habit of brisk walk exercise, diet management for weight loss, as this will further cut the risk factor towards Heart disease.

Do write in if you have any more issue to be discussed. Do write in after you undergo preventive check up and reports are available.

Wish you good Health .

Follow-up: I am 44 year old. Feeling pain in centre of chest. No heart or blood pressure problem in family. Any suggestion? 36 minutes later
Thank you, Doctor. I did get some relief overnight from iburofen but the pain came back in the morning when I went to pick up my 15 pound dog. I'll try to take more and rest for a day or two.
I'll try to find the funds to have the heart check up you mentioned and to try and lose more weight.
Thank you, again,
Answered by Dr. Ravindra L Kulkarni 7 minutes later
Thanks a lot for your feedback.
Wish you the very best