Hypothyroid, cold induced urticaria. When can I get relief from urticaria after beginning a gluten free diet?

Question
Hello. I've been hypothyroid for about 15 years and, in the last 10 years, have developed cold-induced urticaria, which seems to be worsening. I've been reading that these may be related to celiac disease and gluten intolerance. If that's the case, how long would it take to get relief from the urticaria after beginning a gluten-free diet and should I expect to see improvement in my thyroid function? thannks.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

Cold urtricaria and celiac disease have been linked as per recent cases that have been reported not very long ago. The two diseases both have a immunological basis and hence the association among them. Sometimes its been noted that long standing urtricaria is often seen in those with celiac disease. And hence upon screening urtricaria patients, some have been diagnosed with celiac disease also.

Here comes the part where the guten free diet is recommended to control celiac disease and urtricaria (as their genetic make up is similar). In other words by controlling the celiac disease one control urtricaria too.

With regard to improvement of symptoms with a gluten free diet, there is no conclusive study yet. But some cases have indeed shown a difference in symptoms after several months on a gluten free diet.

As far as thyroid function goes, certain type of thyroid diseases can be auto immune and hence may have a immunological factor. But there there is no evidence yet to state that there is any direct relation between thyroid dysfunction and a gluten free diet.

Hope this answer is helpful and informative. Should you have any additional queries, I will be available to address them.

Follow-up: Hypothyroid, cold induced urticaria. When can I get relief from urticaria after beginning a gluten free diet? 1 hour later
Is it possible that the vitamin-D deficiency could be related as well?

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 23 minutes later
Hi and thanks again.

There are no confirmative reports that Vitamin - d deficiency is related to either cold urticaria or celiac disease.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you good health

Follow-up: Hypothyroid, cold induced urticaria. When can I get relief from urticaria after beginning a gluten free diet? 5 hours later
Is there anything in the literature to suggest how long after one begins a gluten-free diet it takes for the antibody titers in celiac disease to become undetectable?

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 16 hours later

It takes a few months of gluten free diet for the symptoms of celiac disease to improve.However,the gluten free diet has to be continued life long.