Hypertensive and diabetic. Having cough, sore throat and weakness. History of allergic bronchitis. Took allegra

I am having a cough and sore throat since a week. The first few days it was only a sore throat but thereafter it has become a cough with constant produce ( every 30mins or so). Mucus is white and not coloured. I avoided medicines for a few more days but yesterday i started feeling a little weak. As i have a history of allergic bronchitis and the symptoms are exactly the same, i took XXXXXXX cough syrup and Allegra 120 yesterday night. I had an immediate improvement today with the cough reducing considerably. Produce has also dropped considerably. However i still feel very weak. Can i continue with Allegra and XXXXXXX as it has definitely made a change for me. I am diabetic and have blood pressure for which i take Glycomet 250 , Telsar 40 and Aginal 5 twice a day
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 52 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

I have gone through your history in detail. You are Hypertensive and Diabetic with history of allergic bronchitis. Following are my comments:

1) You have developed due to virus.
2) It can cause reactionary bronchospasm or bronchitis.
3) Anti histaminic (Allegra) do give symptomatic relief in this condition.
4) You should visit a Physician. After examination, investigation like Complete Blood count, Fasting blood sugar, and an x XXXXXXX chest may be required depending on your findings.
5) Antibiotic, anti histaminic, Paracetamol and bronchodilators may be prescribed to you after examination and investigation.
6) In the mean time, keep yourselves well hydrated and hot saline gargle gives relief. You can take paracetamol and Allegra.
7) I presume your BP and diabetes are controlled.

Hope this information helps you. If you have any further query, please feel free to ask. I will be happy to answer.

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.