Hurt thumb and feel painful and numb. Bruised nerve. How long it will take to heal?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I was using scissors cutting hard plastic my thumb has been numb for over a week and painful I read it's possible I bruised a nerve is that true and how long does it takes to heal

Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is possible to bruise the nerve.

Detailed Answer:

Yes, it is possible to bruise the nerve. It can occur due to continuous pressure over nerve. Do not worry, it will take 3-4 weeks to heal. Meanwhile taking methylcobalamine supplement will be helpful. You can take motrin 400mg as and when required to control pain and inflammation.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Follow-up: Hurt thumb and feel painful and numb. Bruised nerve. How long it will take to heal? 22 hours later
Is that most likely what occurred. After 4weeks and its still numb should I see a doctor/specialist. Is this a common issue that you have seen before?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is common issue

Detailed Answer:
Yes, it is common issue and I have seen few cases before in my clinic. If it is still numb after 4 weeks , You should consult an orthopaedician for thorough examination and diagnosis.

Warm regards.