Hurt my back and started bleeding from vagina. Concerned

I lifted something the wrong way last week and hurt my back and I have been bleeding since then?
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 28 minutes later

Bleeding from vagina after a fall could be due to XXXXXXX injury.

I would like to know more about
1. the type of fall?
2. Site of injury other than back?
3. Amount of bleed?
4. Bleeding continuous or intermittent?

Waiting for your reply so that I can give proper diagnosis and recommend treatment accordingly.

Dr Nilofer
Follow-up: Hurt my back and started bleeding from vagina. Concerned 5 hours later
I didnt fall I was lifting a patient, I do private home care, I am bleeding since the 26th of january only place it is hurting is my back and it like a menstraul cycle and it has been continuos sometimes a little heavy other times its light, I am not sure if I am starting to go through menopause
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 8 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

Given the age group and the history, it definitely does suggest abnormal bleeding in perimenopausal period. Simply ascribing it to menopausal changes would be premature.

Lifting a patient is just a coincidence.

The following steps should help us find out the root of the problem and address it appropriately.
1 Get a transvaginal ultrasound to rule out pathology like fibroid uterus. and also to know ET(endometrial thickness)
2 If ET is more than 4mm, then get a hysteroscopic directed biopsy which is definitely the best test for understanding the cause of endometrial hyperplasia ( which means an increase in the thickness of the endometrium or the lining of the uterus.
3 If everything is normal, then you need to start progestin to stop bleeding and cyclical continuous progestin from next cycle for DUB(dysfunctional uterine bleeding). This needs to be done after consulting your gynaecologist.
4. Also, have a nutritious diet XXXXXXX in calcium. Start a calcium supplement if you;re not taking one already.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Dr Nilofer