Hurt abdominal muscles, musculoskeletal pains, hernia, intestinal motility

I hurt my Abdomen lifting a heavy box. When I lifted it I felt these sharp things in about three diffeent spots.I tried to go to our local doctor, but was told they cannot do much for sprains. I already take Carisoprodol and Tramadol for TMJ and nurse lady said take ibuprofen, too. She said get in bed for two more weeks and see. Actually before I went to the doctors, I continued lifting and working in pain for about 6 more days. I had bruising and have musle spasms. I cannot lay straight down, but have to stay up on wedge pillow with pillow under my legs. I think it is a ruptured Abdomen, not sure about hernia, but none really visible. I do see one area on my lower belly that looks a bit puffy, but not hard to the touch. I am bed ridden trying to heal and now my stomach gets very bloated. Do you think I have hernia or that is I am stuck in bed and get bloated and gassy? And how long does a bad rupture take to heal? Do you think I should pay to have CT scan? I do not have insurance. I am feeling a bit better with bed rest except for the bloating. If i have a hernia do I have to heal the ruptures first? I cannot bend down at all. I have been in bed for over a week, but before that about two weeks, but had to start over the healing process because of a wild fire being close to my house and having to pack and leave. After the two weeks I was not in much pain, but could never bend over. I really do not want to go to the doctors unless absolutey necessary because going in a car is really painful and walking to far is , too.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 14 minutes later

Presence of a ruptured intestine will present with severe abdominal pain, irritability, fever, loss of appetite, nausea, and additional features of septicaemia.

Presence of normal appetite and absence of other symptoms described is a sign that there is no rupture of bowels or abdomen.

From the description , it seems that you might have musculoskeletal pain as a result of weak abdominal musculature and prior history of lifting weights could be a cause of such weakness. It could be possible that such a muscular weakness and pain could be associated with a abdominal hernia.

Adequate rest will reduce the pain, but will not resolve the issue.

The bloating is probably due to reduced intestinal motility, as a result of lying on the bed most of the time. Use of activated charcoal tablets might help to reduce the symptoms.

You might consider consulting a general surgeon, who can examine your belly and determine if it is a muscle related pain or a hernia, and then initiate the necessary treatment.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.