How to use mifeprin to abort pregnancy?

My girl friend is pregnant and she took 1-mifeprin (200mg) orally on Feb 11th and after 48hrs she took 2- zitotec (200mg) orally on 13th as prescribed by pharmacist. On 14th Feb she felt like strtng of her periods,bt no bleeding till now. She got her last periods on 1st Dec . Plss suggest us how to take proper dosage of mifeprin and zitotec as we want abort pregnancy medically nd plzzz dnt suggest to consult gynacologist dats highly impossible....Thank you
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please follow proper procedure. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. The dosage of medication taken may not be sufficient and she may need a repeat dosage, but, under medical surveillance. Please remember that self induction of medical abortion is teemed with heavy risk to life as it can cause heavy bleeding, incomplete abortion, infection and tubal rupture if in case an ectopic pregnancy is unknowingly present. The proper procedure to induce medical abortion is to get the pregnancy diagnosed by a specialist, get a trans-vaginal sonogram to locate the gestational sac, know the exact gestational age and exclude any ectopic pregnancy. Then, the specialist will prescribe the necessary dosage based on the age of pregnancy and follow the process. Completion of the process is again verified through a physical exam and a follow-up sonogram. Trying to self abort without following proper procedure is not advisable. The entire procedure may take 1-2 days when properly performed and I would suggest consultation with a specialist. If you cannot see a private practitioner, please attend the government facility which is also very good. Hope your query is clarified. Please contact if you need further information. I will be happy to help. regards, Shanti.V.
Follow-up: How to use mifeprin to abort pregnancy? 12 minutes later
Plz suggest the dosage nd proper medication. Right now it's so hard to consult the gynacologist ( not financially bt situations demands) . Plzzz try to understand our situation... Nd guide us
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please confirm pregnancy through sonogram. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing back. I would again insist on consulting a specialist and if you are not willing to do so, at least get a sonogram to confirm the pregnancy and the location of the sac. The dosage of the medication should be one 200 mg. tablet of mifepristone kept for at least 20-30 minutes in the cheek followed 24-36 hours later by 800 mcg. of misoprostol kept in the cheek again until it dissolves. Follow up should be done about 5 days later. Please note that careful observation is needed throughout the process for any unwanted side effects. Hope your query has been answered. Do not make this a repeated process and start using regular contraception from now on. Please contact if you need any more information. I will be available to help. regards, Shanti.V.
Follow-up: How to use mifeprin to abort pregnancy? 16 minutes later
Mam is it ok to take dosage of mifepristone 200mg nd after 48hrs 800 mg of misoprostol 2 orally nd 2 vaginally ?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please use the vaginal route. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing again. If you wish to use the misoprostol after 48 hours, please use the vaginal route completely as this would be more effective. 600 mcg. also may suffice then. Else, please follow the dosage I have mentioned. Hope all your queries are clarified. Wish you good health. Regards, Shanti.V.