How to treat panic disorder which is increasing day by day?

Hi ,
am suffering from panic disorder since one year almost.
it gets better somtimes, but during stressful days it increases. i wanna know how to treat it as its disturbing me all the time specially my future and my career.
Posted Sun, 16 Dec 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for your query.

I understand that your panic disorder is causing you a lot of disturbance and difficulty. I appreciate you for taking the decision to seek professional help to overcome your problem.

Now, there are effective treatment options available to treat panic disorder. Treatment will be in the form of medication or psychological therapies. Medication such as SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitors) - Citalopram, Escitalopram, Fluoxetine, etc. are commonly used and quite effective in controlling the symptoms of panic disorder. Usually these medication take about 2 weeks to bring about their actions and may take upto a few weeks to reach their full level of effectiveness. In the meantime, you may also require small doses of fast-acting anti-anxiety medication like benzodiazepines (on a temporary basis) to provide quick relief of your symptoms.

In addition, there are certain specific and targetted psychological therapies like Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) which have been found effective in managing panic disorder. Practising relaxation techniques like XXXXXXX breathing, yoga, etc. can also help with your symptoms.

I would advise you to consult a psychiatrist in your place, for a detailed psychological assessment (you may need further assessments based on certain "clinical rating scales" to quantify the extent and severity of your symptoms) and further treatment. With appropriate and regular treatment, I'm sure that you will be able to overcome your problem soon.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist