How to treat ingrown toe nail?

Dec 2013

Hi, I have a problem with the big toe nail on both my feet. I have hurt the big toe resulting in the nail raising up & bleeding. This has happened several times & caused the nail on the toe to grow very thick thereby making the cutting of the nail also a problem. Kindly advise a solution to this problem XXXX
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: "ingrown toe nail"- adised excision Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic. I can understand your concern for problem at big toe nail on both feet. From your description I can make out the possibility of "ingrown toe nail" which is causing the problem at both big toe nail site. To tell you medically- our nail grow everyday which is imperceptible to us. The root of nail is placed under skin which causes proliferation of nail plate ( the part which is visible to us) in a particular direction outside and upwards to the skin. Whenever there is an injury of any form to the nail root then it causes the growth of the nail in wrong direction or the direction where it in not meant. In this respect there is growth of nail into the skin rather than going out. It cause bleeding, pain and sometimes infection too. For the treatment part- the ingrown nail part is to excised (removed ) form its nail root. This is simple surgery and takes around 7-14 days to heal. You can meet a experienced dermatologist or a surgeon who can perform this surgery. There is no medication which can help you to treat this condition. SO do not apply any stuff which can aggravate the situation. I hope these information will be helpful. If you have any further queries I will be glad to help to help. Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)