How to treat hard black pimples?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2012
Jul 2012
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
I had a pimple for a couple of weeks. now it has turned into a hard black bump surrounded by a dark red/purple area. There is no pain. Do I need to see a doctor?
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in Acne

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Hi there.
It appears that this 'pimple' may have been handled or ended up subject to some sort of unintentional trauma & as a result some bruising has occured around the base. By any chance are you a diabetic? If not, then no worries. It is probably only of cosmetic significance. As it has been a couple of weeks, then no real urgency exists. However, if you have easy access to a medical practitioner, please do go ahead & arrange to XXXXXXX him/her.
Cheers & Wish you continued godd health!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD

Follow-up: How to treat hard black pimples? 13 hours later
Thank you so much for your reply. Just for clarity, I had the pimple for a couple of weeks. The black spot and surrounding discloration appeared suddenly just two days ago. I am not diabetic however my mother is, along with several other relatives. Does this additional information make a difference in your response?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 23 minutes later
Hi there XXXXXXX
Nope. As suggested if not diabetic, then chill ...it has more of a cosmetic bearing, else will settle on its own with time :)
You may want to do a GTT (glucose tolerance test) to help figure out if you have any latent diabetes.
If not, relax..all well & hope you continue to be in the pink!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD

Follow-up: How to treat hard black pimples? 45 minutes later
Sounds good-thanks so much for your help!

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 8 hours later
Most welcome XXXXXXX
Please do close this query if done as else it bumps me as a follow-up :( system glitch!
Cheers & wish you a great day/night!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD