How to treat depression after getting speeding ticket?

Hi I got a speeding ticket today and since then I went into a depressive mood as I thought it unfair. I consider myself to be a good careful driver. I believe others take such events in their stride and dont feel thedeep personal emotional injury that I experience, I am feeling suicidal with grief as this single event seems to highlight the great injustices that are in the world and in my life as I am battling with my family over my departed mothers estate. I have been diagnosed with major depression and until today felt that my symptoms were being adequately treated. The quick decent into troubling thoughts and feelings is alarming me. I wish to state that I am accustomed to such feelings and have never attempted to take my life and wont now either, but I truly fear for my future if I remain like this long term. I read on the net that I fit the profile of an emotional empath, and in your site I feel I fit the profile of a man with B.P.D.. I have never been diagnosed with this disorder but it does seem relevant. XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Treatment regimen needs to be revisited XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I am sorry to hear about the issues you are dealing with. Indeed, life, family and an imbalance in these few important aspects of life can result in grief. But these are all lessons that life teaches us. Be patient and strong, I am sure things will only go uphill from here on. XXXXXXX a diagnosis for psychiatric conditions is rarely ever made through an online consultation and so it would obviously be best if you can meet your doctor and go about an elaborate evaluation. But MDD (major depressive disorder) is an obvious diagnosis in your case, from the information provided. Before considering other possibilities, I would like to ask about you treatment regimen. Most effective treatment of MDD is with the help of sertraline, paroxetine or second generation anti-psychotic drugs. Ineffective treatment can result in an aggravation of your condition. So speak to your doctor about this as well. As for your doubt about a possible BPD or an emotional empath, BPD is plausible but anyone can be an emotional empath. If I were to go through everything that you have, I would also become an emotional empath. You are a strong man, firstly because you have the courage to live life and face everything that it has in store for you, that is courage. Accepting you have a problem and the state of your feelings also takes a lot of courage. I would say that you are doing great and will surely get out of this soon. Be strong as things can only go uphill from here. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.