How to resolve spider and varicose veins after hip replacement?

I'm 41, i have spider and varicose veins, more on the left leg with hip replacement done on the same leg. What are my options to combat and resolve the situation for good.
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 5 hours later
Brief Answer: See below Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query I am so sorry to hear about these varicose veins that you have reported. There are various treatment options for varicose veins. What would work best for you depends on the exact findings on examination and investigations. Grossly speaking, we have conservative measures like putting on compressive hose, avoid standing unnecessarily, compressive stockings, elevating the affected limb, avoid excess salt intake, etc. These measures would simply make the veins and discomfort less noticeable but would not completely cure the disorder. Other measures that offer a more durable treatment are external laser therapy(using laser rays to obliterate the vein), sclerotherapy (injecting a substance in the vein that would obliterate it), endovenous obliteration of the saphenous vein and surgery. These measures provide long lasting results with surgery being that with the best results outcome. However, you would need full evaluation before we can tell what measure would be best for you. Also, it is strongly recommended that treatment starts with conservative methods and the other aggressive measures should be used should these conservative methods prove inadequate to control the disease and symptoms. Please, talk to your doctor and get a plan established to follow through with this. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for patronizing our services and please do feel free to ask for follow up clarifications and information if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.