Ask a Urologist   »  

How to remove big kidney stone?

I have written in with queries a couple of times about my kidney stone, but my anxiety level is sky high and I need to know what to expect. I made the mistake of reading horror stories on line, and now I am living in fear of what is to come. I have an 8-9mm stone. It is in the ureter. It was midway a week ago. I haven't had an xray since. I feel jabbing pains just right of the belly button. I have had no fever, no infection, minimal pain so far, but some vague nausea here and there, and fatigue. My doctor scheduled me for surgery (cytoscope?) and possibly a stent for this Monday. He said it would be much better if I passed this thing, but two other doctors have told me it is not likely that I will pass a stone that size. I am taking Tamulosin and drinking tons of water. I have been reading about the nightmares of having a stent, while it is in and even more so after it is removed. I also have indirectly experienced the writhing agony of passing a stone as my husband went through it and wanted me to kill him. I also fear the nausea because I pass out when I vomit and it is terrifying. Is there no easy way out of this? Should I try to pass it on my own? Can I tell my doctor I don't want a stent? What could happen if I refuse a stent?
Posted Fri, 7 Feb 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: flush therapy.USG. SURGERY Detailed Answer: Hi thanks for using XXXXXXX I went through the query and understood your concern. The ureteric stone you are referring of size more than 7 mm is difficult to pass as the lumen through which it has to pass will obstruct its passing. The best treatment is by surgical procedures. But you can try out flush therapy under doctors guidance.which may help in removing the stone. Mean time you need to take NSAID with serratiopeptidase and also urinary antiseptics which will help in reducing inflammation around stone and also if any infection so that the stone will pass smoothly. There are some ayurvedic medication like cystone from Himalaya pharmaceutical company. This helps in reducing the size of the stone. You can also try this with your doctor's advice. If you leave it untreated then the chance of hydro nephrosis is there due to back pressure and then there will be more pain. So this need to be treated. You can check with USG abdomen and pelvis to chevk whether the stone has passed or not. If it has drained then no needto worry.
Follow-up: How to remove big kidney stone? 5 minutes later
What is "outflush" therapy? Is that the same as taking Tamsulosin? What is NSAID? Is "urinary antiseptics" the same as antibiotics? What is "ayurvedic medication and I never heard of Himalaya Pharmaceutical Company. I haven't passed the stone. I still feel it in there. You forgot to address the part of my question about whether or not I can ask the doctor not to use a stent, and what could happen if I didn't get a stent? Thank you. I am going to bed now so I won't read your answer until tomorrow.
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: stent should be put if ureter is incised Detailed Answer: Hi, Flush therapy is pushing out the ureteric stone using diuretics and with good hydration along with sedation/analgesic drugs. This wil give good result if the ureteric stone is of upto 7 mm. NSAIDs are group of anti inflammatory drugs which involves Ibuprofen, aceclofenac etc. Antibiotics are different from antiseptics but overlap in functions and both have their role in ureteric stone. Your other part whether to use stent depends on the type of surgical management your doctor choose. Putting stent after removal of stone is a good outcome procedure. You can ask for procedures without stent. If the ureter is incised to remove stone then stent should be put in place to avoid complications of urin spillage, blocking of ureter due to inflammation and fibrous tissue. Hope this helps you. regards