How to reduce the elevated enzymes?

How to reduce the evalvted enzymes and what is the exact problem?Should Alcohol be completely avoided or moderate drinking is OK as I prefer taking Alcohol 2-3 times a week in moderate quantity?
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to stop alcohol...

Detailed Answer:

Moderate alcohol drinks usually doesn't cause serious harm. However since you have grade 2 fatty liver and elevated ALT and GGT, it is clear that 2-3 times a week alcohol drinks is affecting your liver. As such this problem can be reversed if you can quit alcohol drinks. Persistent drinks can cause detrimental effects on liver and pancreas which may not be reversible.

In short, your elevated enzymes and liver changes is directly attributed to alcohol drinks. It is better to stop alcohol completely now. Take professional help if you are unable to quit alcohol.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need clarifications.'

Follow-up: How to reduce the elevated enzymes? 20 minutes later
Stopping Alcohol means for ever or till the time things get normal?Is Alcohol the only reason for this condition?
Also the present condition is completely reversible?Are the enzymes level at alarming range?How much time it takes for the enzymes to reach the normal level?Wat should be my Alcohol intake after the things gets to normal?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stop alcohol permanently...

Detailed Answer:

Like I said, moderate alcohol drinks has left concerning signs in the form of grade 2 fatty liver and elevated enzymes. Elevated enzymes would reduced in 6-8 weeks as you stop alcohol, but fatty liver takes much more time. Theoretically it is defined as 3-6 months of complete abstinence can reverse fatty liver changes.

As far as restarting alcohol, you are permitted to drink one or two small glasses of normal wine or equivalent drinks; avoid binge drinking.

At present, the elevated enzymes are not alarming.

Besides alcohol, I also recommend that you keep weight under ideal limits. Get your lipid profile tests and treat it accordingly.

Hope I have answered all your questions. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: How to reduce the elevated enzymes? 1 hour later
My lipid profile is done and the results were triglycerides 209 and Cholestrol(HDL) 28 and rest were in range.
I have one more concern over my ALP.The doc who did my ultrasound told me that increased ALP is a sign of Chirosis.He exactly told me that my phase is just the one before Chirosis.He told me this info after I shared my ALP results with him.
My ultrasound sound report is Liver normal in size(12cm) with changes in echo texture.My ALP was 147.How high is this range?
Please let me know the information passed to me was correct or not? Is there any immediate medical attention needed as in GP ASAP?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cirrhosis is unlikely...

Detailed Answer:
ALP value is slightly elevated and further scan finding is less likely to be due to cirrhosis. I am not worried; however I recommend you to get alcohol consumption in control.

ALP values is normally under 140 IU/ml; your value is marginally elevated. It can be monitored and treated by a gastroenterologist. You can plan this visit at your convenience.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.