How to postpone my period date?

I am planning a 25th anniversary in Belize which falls right on my menstruation date. Is it possible to delay a period, and are there risks involved. I have heard that norethiserone is available, my doctor was not aware of this medication, but wants to put me on Demuelen for 42 days. Which has more side effects or the lesser risk of the two options. ( I am 50 years old)

Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 hours later

Postponement of the cycles always leads to disturbance of the cycles for some time as we are interfering with the normal pattern. Therefore, it is always advisable not to disturb this biological process unless indicated extremely, especially at your age.

Demuelen is a contraceptive pill. It is better avoided at your age, as the risks involved in using such a combination like increased tendency to clotting defects are more. The pill contains estrogen and progesterone combination. It has several systemic side effects some of which are increased thrombosis of the vessels leading to cerebral thrombosis, myocardial infarction and so on; disturbed clotting mechanism, impaired liver and kidney function, headache, migraines, abnormal lipid profiles, skin eruptions, cervical erosion and pulmonary thromboembolism.

Norethisterone, on the other hand has better patient compliance as it is only progestogen. Yet, it should be used with caution in case of depressed liver or kidney function, heart failure, diabetes, asthma, hypertension and impaired clotting mechanism. It also has some of the side effects as mentioned above but to a lesser extent as it does not have estrogen content. So, if you definitely want to go for postponement of the cycles, this would be the better choice. Also, you need to take this for shorter periods only, not for 42 days.

Hope I have clarified your doubts. If you need any further clarification, I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: How to postpone my period date? 11 hours later
If I take norethisterone will my period come later, and cycle return to normal or will there be a disturbance regardless of what I do. I only plan to be on either choice for a month just so I can enjoy my trip. Or do you still think it is risky?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 31 minutes later

You can postpone your period using Norethisterone as I feel it is a better choice in your case, as there is no estrogen. You can start taking the tablet 3 days prior to your due date of menstruation and continue until you wish, but for not more than 10-14 days altogether. You will get a withdrawal bleeding about 3 days after stopping the treatment.

Your cycles may get irregular for a couple of months and later settle down. This happens with any medication used for cycle disturbance.

The risks as I have mentioned earlier are supposed to be less while using low dose of progestogen only drug. So, if you have ruled out vascular disorders, you can take the advice of your gynecologist regarding the dose that suits you and go for it. Enjoy your anniversary.

Hope I have made it clear. If you still need some clarification, please feel free to ask. I will be happy to help.