How to lower blood pressure?

what is a good way to lower your blood pressure quickly? I have POTS, so my heart rate and blood pressure varies frequently. Lately at night my blood pressure has been going to 150/107 pulse ooo n the 60's. Im on Norco, Motrin, Clonazepam , albuterol , vitamin d, thermotabs.
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prasad 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Antihypertensives need to be used under caution... Detailed Answer: Hi, Blood pressure variations are very common. Therefore unless and until the variations are extremely high and there is history of previous hypertension, it is not always mandatory to lower blood pressure quickly. In all circumstance, rest is most important to reduce short term elevated blood pressure. I would suggest you to recheck blood pressure say half an hour later while you rest before trying any medicines. Especially in your case, since you are have history of POTS and also are on albuterol, it is important that you do not use any antihypertensive drugs without supervision. At this instance with blood pressure of 150/107 and pulse of 60, I do not find any immediate need to lower blood pressure. Repeat blood pressures as described earlier. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow-up: How to lower blood pressure? 21 hours later
the really high blood pressures only happen at night when I am relaxing. I also can't tolerate beta blockers or cardizm
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: How high is your blood pressure? Detailed Answer: Hi, High blood pressure is mostly asymptomatic. Rarely does one develop symptoms such as headache, dizziness and visual blurring secondary to high blood pressure. Therefore I am not very sure what are your symptoms that makes you check your blood pressure. Further blood pressure of 150/107 is not very high. If necessary, a high blood pressure can be brought down with sublingual nitrates or other calcium channel blocker. Betablocker is to be avoided if you have history of bronchial asthma (bronchospasm). The dose is blood pressure depend; therefore it is important to keep your doctors informed about blood pressure number before using a particular dose. Hope you get my point. I await your reply to comment further. Regards
Follow-up: How to lower blood pressure? 9 hours later
When it goes up I get headaches with occasional dizzyness . I take my bp several times a day for my Nero as well as my hr. Several things she's put me on to manage the POTS has caused adverse reactions.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Short course of regular antihypertensive use... Detailed Answer: Hi, If there are constant BP fluctuations with elevated blood pressure, it would be a good idea to start regular antihypertensive drugs such as angiotension receptor blocker. Regular antihypertensive drugs is a much better choice of treatment than single emergency management of elevated blood pressure. Please record all your blood pressure numbers in a sheet and discuss about using regular medicines. The condition can be reassessed after couple of months. Hope this helps. Regards
Follow-up: How to lower blood pressure? 1 minute later
thank you
Answered by Dr. Prasad 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Welcome... Detailed Answer: You are welcome... I would like you to close this discussion if you have no more questions to me. Good luck!!