How to improve the relationship between two people?

Im seeking help of a psychologist regarding my strained relationship with my father. We belong to different generations (he's 72 and im 34), and we are not able to maintain a harmonious relationship. While both of us take care of each other when the needs arise but when it comes to cooperating or saying what u want to hear from the other person we both fail and then there is sadness on my part and resentment and passive aggression on his part. I feel very uncomfortable looking at his body language when we cross each other in the house. He seems to be more comfortable interacting with shy, self-conscious women but Im an outspoken, extrovert and everytime I am myself I get a negative response from him.

We both live alone here in Silchar, Assam. Im a freelance recruiter and he works in the tea industry. My mom is in Dubai.

Please advise with suggestions on how to improve the relationship. What I can do and expect from him. Its hard for me to be someone other than who I am just to please him. Any links, articles u can suggest that I could read up on how to handle him so that we r both happy. There are no psychologists in this area so Im afraid I will have to rely on the net.
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 31 minutes later
Thanks for your query. I understand your concern with the strained relationship with your father. I would like to suggest the following books which ,might be useful in this context.
1. How To Have A Great Relationship: 96 Tips For Turning A Healthy Relationship Into The Perfect Relationship
2.The Anger Habit in Relationships: A Communication Workbook for Relationships, Marriages and Partnerships

The online counselling websites include:

To summarise give and take and compromise is the key to any healthy relationship. Wish you all the best.
Dr Sundar