How to get rid of dark circles under eyes?

How to get rid of dark circles under my eyes
Posted Sun, 16 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later

Common causes for having dark circles are:
-Iron deficiency anemia
-Stress, anxiety or depression
-Lack of sleep, poor sleep hygiene
-Poor water intake
-Smoking and alcohol
-Chronic illness
-Unknown causes (idiopathic).

So, it is important to identify specific and treatable cause for best result. In most of the cases reasons for having dark circles below eyes are multiple and that's why multimodal approach becomes necessary for the treatment.

General treatment consists of:
-Iron and B complex vitamins
-Apply almond oil around eyes in night
-Put slice of cucumber (kheera) above your eyes daily for 15 minutes
-For stress (if present): daily morning walk, meditation and yoga
-Proper sleep for 7 to 8 hrs per day, follow sleep hygiene
-Plenty of water, fresh fruits, vegetables and salads intake
-Using sunscreens: if your skin is sensitive for sunlight

If above steps failed (which is less likely), then you should visit dermatologist for treatment options like: Medicines, Chemical peeling and Laser treatment.

Last I would like to mention that in spite of all the latest and modern treatments 100% results are difficult to get, but even if you are more than 50% cured, you should feel happy and don't get disappointed.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal
Follow-up: How to get rid of dark circles under eyes? 31 minutes later
Doctor, I drink very less quantity of water. The XXXXXXX I can drink is just 1 litre. Most of the days I drink just half a litre of water. Is there any way/medicine to increase thirst as there are medicines to increase hunger?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 5 minutes later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

There is no need for medicine to increase thirst. It is sufficient, if you can increase water intake to 1 lit per day.

Just keep water bottle near you, which will increase your intake. Intake also depend on temperature, as in cold months thirst decreases naturally.

Apart from that follow other above steps too, which will help you greatly.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.

Thank you Doctor
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Always welcome