How to get rid of acne?

I am an 34 year old female and have recently developed acne. My skin has been clear most of my life, but now I constantly have acne. They will disappear and then reappear in the exact same spots. It's been 6-9 months and I've used several over the counter products. How can I get rid of it?
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Adult acne, difficult to manage,send pictures Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. Now your problem is that of adult acne. Adult acne are mostly difficult to treat acne and have to be managed with proper treatment. I would like to know what all treatments have you taken already, both oral and topical. Are you applying any creams at present? Also have you completed your family? Also please click some close up pictures of the face and upload them here on this page. You can also mail them at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul. I would like to have a close up view of the face before we decide upon the further treatment. Waiting for your response and the pictures Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: How to get rid of acne? 35 minutes later
I have not taken any medication for acne and the products I've used are all over the counter. I've noticed that the active ingredients are the same in most of them. The most consistent product I've used is a generic deep cleaning astringent and XXXXXXX Kay's acne treatment gel whose active ingredient is benzoyl peroxide. I've also used Burt's Bees Herbal blemish stick that uses willowbark extract and tea tree oil with some other natural oils. I have not had any children and don't have any plans in the near future, but am not ready to rule out the possibility yet. I took the pictures today, and it is very mild today. It usually goes through a cycle where it gets worse and then gets to this point and then gets worse again. I also forgot to mention that I have reoccurring acne in both my nose and my ear. Those pimples usually start out looking like normal acne but I try to leave them alone and then they turn into what looks more like a cyst then a normal pimple.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Adult onset acne, difficult to manage Detailed Answer: Hi again I have seen the attached pictures. You do have moderate acne. Now as far as the treatment of these is concerned, you surely need a proper treatment with both topical and oral agents. Now as far as the topical treatment options are concerned, you can start using cleocin -t cream in the morning. This cream contains an anti acne agent called clindamycin. In addition, you can continue to use benzoyl peroxide at night. This combination helps in managing most of the cases. Also you should avoid using any oily creams over the face. You can the a salicylic acid based face wash twice a day. You can use neutrogena salicylic acid face wash. This decreases the oil over skin as well as contains an anti acne agent. Also among the general precautions, you should avoid eating nuts. Use a good oil free sunscreen regularly so as to avoid post acne scars. If only topical drugs do not help, you might need treatment with oral antibiotic courses as well. Dr Geetika Paul