How to get relief from lower abdominal pain?

General Surgeon
I have abdominal pain at the waist on the left hand side. I went to my doctor 2 days ago and because the muscle hurt when he pushed on it we both dismissed it as a muscle cramp from a long drive home I had been in 3 days earler. Now 2 days after I saw him on Tuesday, it is back again and not going away. My hands are not shaking, but it is distracting pain.
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Lower left abdominal pain can be caused by inguinal hernia (if the pain is located in the groin), diverticulitis (this condition is strongly associated with constipations), ovarian disease (cancer should be always ruled out), higher than the groin. Please push your abdomen in the area above the groin (lower abdomen) and release it rapidly. If the pain aggravates when releasing, diverticulitis is more possible. If this symptom is positive (it is called Blumberg sign), you should go to ER.
Urinary tract disease can give also mentioned symptom positive, however you should be able to indicate the pain while knocking the back in the kidney area.
It is advisable for you to have abdominal ultrasound, blood work, urine analysis, CA-125 level, CRP level performed. Your age (above 50) is a recommendation for colonoscopy.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: How to get relief from lower abdominal pain? 34 minutes later
Thanks. Pain is getting stronger. I had a colonscopy 5 years ago. No bloody stool. No smell in urine. Ache is distracting. On left side at waist line - but is radiating around back and front.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later

If the pain is getting stronger, it means that there is an inflammation in the place of the pain inside abdominal acvity (it can be due to diverticles or abscess due to diverticle perforation (as every diverticulitis can result with such complication). The exact diagnose can be done after abdominal ultrasound, urine analysis and blood work (WBC, CRP will be elevated if inflammation is present). You definitely should go to the doctor as soon as possible.